My big girl vacation is just around the corner.
Two weeks tra-la-la-ing through Europe.
It's bratty. I know.
The good news is you will be getting your daily dose of the cuppa while I'm gone! I have an entire series of posts written and scheduled - and I think they are really fun! Hopefully you will too! You won't even get a chance to miss me!
So - here is what I need from you....
Give me your best travel tips and tricks. I am taking a LONG trip on a plane. Across the pond. And I need to sleep.
I will be turning 30 in the sky! How crazy is that?
When I land in Barcelona, I am going to be THIRTY.
It will be my birthday. So I need to be spunky and fresh - not tired, groggy, and jet lagged.
Not cranky from the misery of traveling.
Help a sister out.
Ready for a few of mine: Benadryl, Packing Cubes, Kindle, Water Bottle, and Carry-on Essentials.
1. Benadryl knocks me OUT. Perfect non prescription sleeping pill.
2. Have you ever seen packing cubes? They are AWESOME.
I have these and these. In RED.
They all fit in my suitcase. I put tops in one, pants in another, socks and undies in another, cami's get one too. Etc. Until all of my clothes are packed. Not only do they help keep my stuff organized, they kind of compress everything into smaller compartments, and makes more space so I can fit a TON more in my luggage.
Since they all kind of take on a square shape, it all stacks up neatly.
Also, since I'm going to be on a cruise ship, and you have to unpack your suitcase when you are on the ship (did you know this?) - it helps keep things organized within the stateroom.
Seriously. EBags is not paying me to tell you this. I am just telling you because I love them. You are welcome.
3. My travel life changed when I got a Kindle. Again, Amazon is not paying me to say that. I just LOVE it. Vacation to me is time to READ.
One year I went to Hawaii, and brought a giant stack of books. I was MISERABLE lugging those suckers through the airport. I always travel with my Bible, devotional, and then whatever books I plan to read on vacation. Which is typically at least two or three.
Now, I carry my super light Kindle - which means more room for clothes, shoes, and bringing home souvenirs.
4. Now that TSA has regulations on the whole traveling with liquids thing - which by the way, I was in Mississippi when that federal throw down occurred, and on our return flight home, we were all bewildered that we had to throw away ANYTHING liquid - sunscreen, bug spray, lotion, EVERYTHING. Lesson learned. Quickly.
Anyway, now that that regulation is not going anywhere, I always carry an empty water bottle with me. Once you are through security, you can fill it up with ice and a little bit of water - and you are good to go. Then you have your own water bottle with you wherever you are. Definitely beats paying $5 for bottled water. And I need to have water. All the time.
Do not wait to hydrate.
5. What would you do if you traveled all the way across the Atlantic ocean, and when you landed your suitcase had a panic attack and decided to stay behind and all you had was what was in your carry on? Would you be able to travel comfortably for the next several days until you were reunited with your two wheeled buddy? Or if it was gone forever?
I may have lost sleep over this idea last year.
So, I take one of my packing cubes, and include a few extra undies, my favorite outfit (after all, when I land its my birthday, I want to look and feel good!). I also throw in my bag an extra pair of shoes and socks, maybe some PJ's, non-liquid make up, hairbrush, etc. Anything I would be super bummed to not have, at least for a few days. Obviously, you want to include any medications and irreplaceable personal items as well. Just please be sure to not lose your bag in the terminal. Things would get ugly.
Okay - SO - tell me, what are you must haves/must dos for traveling? On the plane? On a boat?
Carry-on, luggage, packing, unpacking, etc.
I want to know it all.
I want your best kept travel secret!