PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, June 13, 2011

Artichoke Dip of Deliciousness

So, Patrick and Emily are having a baby!

A sweet little girl!

And Jessica and Niki hosted a lovely shower for her.



I rsvp'd via text message.

Seriously people. If you are having a party. Let me RSVP via text.

If I'm having a party.

Please RSVP via text.

Please RSVP.

It's just convenient.


My artichoke dip is probably my #2 most requested party food.
Following,
THE BRIE.

It used to be #1. But then, the brie happened.

Artichoke dip had to take a back seat.

But, she is back, and ready to conquer the party food spread.

I discovered this little gem several years ago when I bought this cookbook at a Southern Living at Home party.

I had just moved into my condo, and I think I only had one other cookbook.

As soon as I got it, I went through and tabbed all of the things I wanted to make.

First up, artichoke dip.

I don't think I ever got past that.

Well, and the 7 Layer Bars...condensed milk, YUM.


Super simple.
Only a few ingredients. And it can be made in one bowl.




And yes, mayo is a main ingredient.
I don't like to think about that.
But, I use LIGHT mayo - which is KEY - and lots of cheese, so it all swirls and mixes together into an ooey gooey cheesey delight.

First up, and my favorite part, chop the artichokes!



I don't know why I like this part so much, but I just do.

Next up, mince the garlic.

Another totally helpful, totally worth it kitchen gadget?

This garlic peeler.

It's just a little piece of rubber shaped like garlic. This isn't it, but its does the same job.

You roll it around the garlic clove, and then using the palm of your hand roll over it. You will hear a little snap as the paper skin on the clove releases from the clove itself. Totally awesome.

And I'm not exactly sure why this clove had a purple skin...but, just roll with it...


Then, I throw everything a bowl - the artichoke, garlic, mayo, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and parmesan cheese.

YUM.

And here is how I make it my own...I add anything I have laying around do it.

This time I added a little bit of grated pepperjack. To add a small kick.
And my favorite sweet & spicy mustard.



And, as for the parmesan, I buy the pre shredded cheese.

It always comes in a pack of 1 1/2 cups.

Recipe only calls for 1 cup.

So one cup goes IN the dip.

Half cup goes ON the dip.

Which makes a really yummy cheesey layer on top.


Now, here is my other secret - this is totally a "you can make ahead of time" recipe.

I stir it all together, cover, and refrigerate until I'm ready to cook it (350* for 20 min, plus a little broil time to cook up the top layer of cheese, yum).

You don't have to make it ahead of time, but it works out well for party prep!

And serve, with SOURDOUGH BREAD.

This isn't a suggestion.
It's a command.

I don't believe in regular french bread.

Sourdough or die.


Final Tip: Like I said, use the light mayo. It makes a HUGE difference. I have seen this dip made with regular mayo, and that with the cheese, the dip is just super oily. The light mayo cuts back on a lot of that, and the dip isn't just tastier, but it also looks prettier without a layer of oil sitting on top.


And, PS award for my favorite gift at the shower goes to Margaret.
#cute
TOO FUNNY.



Linking up over here...



Thirty Hand Made Days

4 comments:

  1. amen to text RSVPs. amen to the best artichoke dip in all the land. amen to light mayo but ONLY in this dip. light mayo otherwise is NOT #cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I only text or email rsvps at this point and probably don't rsvp if I'm not given that option lol which is really bad. I think you may have to try making it with the light mayo made with olive oil too. Oh and I usually hate mayo but always love this dip :) I tell myself its not in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hate mayo... but if artichoke dip is present i devour it.

    i would rsvp the old old old fashioned way, by phone. i don't text. yes, i admit i've messed around with it a couple of times, but i've not entered into a committed relationship with it.
    i know i'm like the only person in the world who hasn't. i'm okay with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, world. rsvp. always, all ways. do it.

    i don't believe in regular french bread either.

    ReplyDelete