PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Barcelona on a Bike: Take 2

I decided I may as well blog my recent trip now.
I am way too behind on last year's trip. But I know I really do want to retro-blog it.
So someday.
But I may as well do this now, while it's fresh in my mind.

Last year, I had SUCH an incredible day biking through Barcelona with my dad that when I found out we were going back, there was no way I wasn't going to be two-wheeling my way through the city.
Taxi cabs wave along bikers to go in front of them.
It's like - the weirdest most awesome thing ever.
The bike lanes are fabulous.
And they even have lights specific for the bikes.

You can get to all of the sights in a short amount of time too.
My dad did a little homework, and we found a different bike shop where we were able to rent bikes for even cheaper than last year!
This put us at a different starting location, which meant we explored all new places!
SO FUN.
If you ever go to Barcie, rent a bike. Do it. You won't regret it.

We first headed out to the waterfront.
The Mediterranean Sea.
There is an entire paved path along the front, all the way to the eye catching sail shaped W Hotel.
We decided to ride all the way out there.

We made a quick stop so I could dip my feet in.
And kinda kept our heads down.
NUDIE BEACH ALERT.


At the recommendation of the bike shop guys we rode the whole boardwalk style path the other direction, looking for the Plaza of Champions - built for the 1992 Olympics where every Olympian had a plaque with their name on it.
I'm a huge Olympic fan. I was kind of excited.

Ends up, it wasn't exactly a large landmark and we rode right by it.
I was looking for things like the torch or the stadium - neither of which were nearby.
We figured it out, turned around and found the deserted plaza.
It was still kinda fun.

I also had to get some juice along the way. 
It looked so refreshing. 


Next we decided to head inland.
Where the city buildings would provide a little shade as we rode.
It was SO hot, and SO humid. 
My sunburn paranoia was in full effect.
We headed up towards the Gaudi Cathedral - something we didn't see last time.
Meanwhile, dad and I were drenched in sweat and i was starving for lunch.
As the Gaudi came into view, I told my pops we MUST STOP NOW. 
Hahaha.

So lunch time it was. 
We found a little corner restaurant. 
It served pizza. We also had pizza last year!
It's just easy.
Also, coca light.
And they served us some tuna empanadas as well.
FUN!


Once we were refreshed.
Re-sunscreened, and rested we headed up to Gaudi.
Up to this point, we had navigated the city no problem.
But the crowds around this thing were insane.
We carefully stuck to our bike lane.
However, people seemed to think it was also a walking lane.
We took pics from 3 of the 4 sides, and then got out of  dodge.


After this, we rode back down the middle of the city. Through their "central park."
Same as we did last year.
It was THE BEST again.
It was one of those moments as I was riding into the breeze, the sun was shining, and I was in SPAIN.
On a bike.

The whole path down I was just savoring each incredible moment.
Seriously.
You know those times where you're like "THIS. Remember THIS."
It was that.
It was awesome.




We rode under the arc - but I had my dad take pics with his camera of that. So, just reference last year.

And then my dad decided to really get adventurous and took us through the little tiny streets. We went left, and right, and right and right, and left. I had no idea where we were.
We were the sole cyclists.
Probably because we were riding on bumpy cobblestones.
But it was shady, and cool, and full of locals.


So fun.
After this we dropped off our bikes and headed back to La Rambla until it was time for our bus to take us back to the hotel.
We witnessed two crime situations - one involving undercover cops busting pickpockets, and one involving a man chasing another man out of a store with a baseball bat.
Um...
But still it was great. I love Barcie.

We got more juices. And then slushies.
And sat in a shady spot by the Christopher Columbus statue.
It was another great day in Barcelona.


5 comments:

  1. oh my word. this looks SO amazing! now i desperately want to go to spain & ride around on a bike. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't even like bike riding that much unless it's to yogurtland down the street but this sounds amazing. i want to do it! i want to see the bliss sign. but not the nudies. i don't think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is it weird to say your dad is adorable?
    what a gift to bike there, beautiful.
    also, i'd bike anywhere with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. please put me in your backpack and take me with you next time. one of my favorite memories of Europe was biking around Venice all day, eating gelatto, and knocking over an entire display of carbonated water. it was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete