PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Grand Marnier Hot Chocolate Cupcakes

Let's talk about cupcakes for a sec, shall we?
Well, that didn't take much convincing, did it?

Last weekend, for Jessica's shower, I pulled an old recipe out of my {GMail} archives. One of my favorite cupcake recipes.


Growing up, my mom's guilty pleasure was Pepperidge Farm Orange Milano Cookies.
Around the holidays she always had those chocolate oranges that you have to pound against the counter to break apart the slices.
Both of these treats weren't a favorite of my kid taste buds.

But after awhile, the flavors grew on me. I think chocolate orange is an acquired taste. And a good one at that. My grown up taste buds approve.


I have made this recipe a few times, and every single time it surprises me how much I love these cupcakes. It really shouldn't, the recipe calls for booze and real whipping cream after all.

And like most recipes that I choose to use, all of the ingredients are things I already have in my cabinets.
Although, I did have to get a new bottle of Grand Marnier, as I had none left!


These cupcakes call for 2 eggs + 2 yolks - this gives them a super fudgey consistency to die for. 




Ingredients
6 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped (I use chocolate chips)
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other orange-flavored liqueur
1/4 cup all purpose flour
Lightly sweetened whipped cream
Orange Zest for Garnish (optional)

Preparation
Line 12-cup muffin pan with muffin papers. Combine chocolate and butter in heavy small saucepan; stir over medium-low heat until melted and smooth, about 1 minute. Remove saucepan from heat.
Using electric mixer, beat sugar, eggs, egg yolks, and liqueur in large bowl until thick ribbon falls when beaters are lifted, about 5 minutes. Sift flour over; using rubber spatula, gently fold in flour. Fold in chocolate mixture. Divide batter among muffin papers. Cover and chill until cold and firm, at least 25 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake cupcakes in papers on baking sheet until tops are puffed and cracked and tester inserted into center comes out with moist batter attached, about 7 minutes. Serve cupcakes with whipped cream & garnish with orange zest.

2 comments: