PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, February 28, 2011

The Single Lady's Classy Chicken Noodle Soup

Sometimes when I write these posts, songs get in my head...do you know the Chicken Noodle Soup song? I don't know the lyrics except it goes "Chicken Noodle Soup, Chick-ken Noodle Soup". Not really a catchy tune to type out on a blog, but its in my head.

So, when I am sick, there isn't much that I like more than a hot bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup. Well that and a Slurpee. In fact, I even like chicken noodle soup when I am NOT sick. When I was a little kid (and okay, a big kid too) my mom would always make me Campbell's. It is definitely my chicken noodle soup of choice.

But now that I'm a grown up - its time to class things up a bit and make some grown up chicken noodle soup.

With the exception of the fresh veggies thrown in, all of these ingredients are easily kept on hand, for that unforeseen sick day.

Last week, I had a few sick days with some kind of sore throat cough combo. The sore throat is gone, but the cough has been lingering. I definitely needed a little chicken noodle goodness this weekend to keep me going on the road to recovery!

The Single Lady's Classy Chicken Noodle Soup

Here is what you'll need:


  • 2 Boxes of (Low Sodium) Chicken Broth (only one pictured)
  • 1 Can of Chicken (like canned tuna, except chicken)
  • 1/2-1 Container of Mirepoix from Trader Joe's (or Onions, Carrots and Celery chopped up)
  • 8oz (weight) Whole Wheat Noodles (I used Penne, non whole wheat is also fine)
  • Any combination of Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Cayenne Pepper - to taste. (not pictured)

Instructions:
In a big pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Throw in all of the other ingredients. And cook until pasta is done to your liking.

Serve in a pretty bowl. With a few crackers, buttered toast, or slice of fresh bread. Get well soon!

Here is what I love about this recipe:

Accessibility: Like I said above, you can keep everything on hand in case of emergency. When the need arises the only thing you'll need to pick up (or have delivered to you, if you are curled up on your couch ruing the day) is the Mirepoix. If you desperate enough, you may even have the onion already on hand. And might be willing to skip the carrots and celery.

Mirepoix: I don't even know how to say this word, but I love that Trader Joe's offers it. Onions that are already chopped? Yes, please. No tears here. And it sounds fancy. I like fancy.

Canned Chicken: I don't really like touching meat. Especially raw meat. I also get nervous cooking meat - I want it to be thoroughly cooked. No salmonella here! Canned chicken solves those two problems for you. Plus, you can keep it in the cabinet, and not have to worry about it going bad, or the time it would take to defrost.


Repeat Offender: This recipe will definitely make you 4 servings of soup (or more, or less depending on how big of a bowl you serve yourself). If you are like me, and don't mind eating the same thing four days in a row, then it you are in luck!

Fanciness: It is a jump from regular old canned soup. It maintains its white-trashiness with the canned chicken, but is still, a good hearty chicken noodle soup. That you cooked yourself on your stove top. If you really want to pump it up, you could put in two cans of chicken. I think that is a bit much for me. But it would definitely make it more of a solid, filling meal. You can also get creative with anything else you might want to add in. Beans? More veggies? Rice? I like my Chicken Soup classic, so I keep it to the basics. But, go ahead and get crazy.

Let's keep it classy ladies! 

4 comments:

  1. No tears and/or salmonella and maintained white trashiness = always a plus. Sounds yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can help with the pronunciation... its meer-pwah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess - I am all about the salmonella free food. Haha.

    ReplyDelete